Saturday, January 24, 2009

Texas D-Now, California funerals...Gee it's good to be home in Kentucky!

On Thursday January 15th, I along with 9 other folks from Kentucky loaded on a plane and headed to Eldorado, Texas. Our mission was to teach the good news of Jesus Christ and the theme of the weekend was Spiritual Warfare. We knew going into the weekend that we were putting ourselves on the frontline of the battle ground with the theme that was chosen. What i didn't expect was a phone call on Friday night before the basketball games that informed me that my grandfather Raymond A. Booth had died. I had my moment, yet I also felt an urgency like none other to share the gospel with these kids. What Satan may have wanted to use to distract me was used for God's glory. Along with the news that my grandfather had died was the new that my cousin Priscilla Sanders had also died due to a battle with cancer. You can go here to see the tribute her husband made for her and the honorable and inspirational life she lead.

The Scripture that hit me at the game on Friday night was Luke 9:59-60:

To another he said, "Follow me."
But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
And Jesus said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead.
But as for you, GO and PROCLAIM
THE KINGDOM OF GOD."

Through prayer and grace the Lord gave everyone one of us the strength to go and proclaim the kingdom of God. Each one of the preachers (Jason, Eron, Dustin and Blake) that weekend gave a word that was powerful. I am so thankful that the Lord has given us eachother to build one another up, to pray for one another, to exhort and encourage one another in the truth that through one heart, one mind and one Spirit we can go forth in boldness and love and proclaim the truth of the gospel to the town of Eldorado. Please continue to pray for these youth and for Shea and Sylas (the youth minister and his wife).
Sunday we boarded the planes once again and I received news that my grandmother had passed out and was in the hospital. This prompted me to find tickets to California and rush by my families side. We arrived Sunday night in Louisville and by 2:00 Monday afternoon I was back in the airports once again. Monday was Priscilla's funeral, and the days to follow were filled with funeral plans in loving memory of my grandfather. Due to the fact that my grandparents had just moved to Orange County there was no church family or anyone to help with the arrangements. I can now add funeral planner to my resume though. The service was Friday and was very nice. Family members from all over California came in and afterwards we gathered for an after-party and sang around the piano for hours.

Needless to say...it has been a week. Thank you all so much for your prayers. I am undeserved of the grace of God that has brought the friends and family that I have in my life. Thank you so much for mourning with me and encouraging me. Blessed be the name of our Lord and Savior who gives and takes away. Truly His lot for me is good.

Speaking of good...it is good to be home in Kentucky. I have lived out of a suitcase for 4 weeks out of this 6 week break from school. It is time for that break to be over as I start a new semester on Monday. By the way....3 A's and 1 B....makes a 3.7 for my first semester's GPA!!!

I love you all!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! rough week. i am glad that you are doing okay.

OhK-Booth said...

I am Ryan, thank you. How are you guys doing? Is that baby bump growing?