Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Month Home

The picture that starts this blog is one that I took at Huber's Farm. The Plevans were gracious to take me with them to this U-pick-it Farm, Orchard and Winery; and I must say that I loved it. We picked raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and peaches. We had a picnic near this pond where this swan and fish were being fed. The swan would be annoyed by the fish and would nip at them with his beak on their heads. I am sure that you could use this picture in a sermon and talk about the sin that so easily entangles us as we strive for purity as a beautiful swan...but it is probably best to leave it as a pretty cool picture. My time here has been sweet and I would like to give praise and adorations to our lord for the provisions and growth he is already granting.

I started classes last Monday and in 1 and 1/2 weeks I have read about three and 1/2 books along with some other small readings. I am learning so much about the Holy Spirit in my Systematic Theology class. It has been so neat to see us as Christians as annointed ones that through the Holy Spirit we are equipped with wisdom and power. In my Spiritual Disciplines class we have started accountability and have been learning the discipline of journaling. There is something to be said about the spiritual evaluation and legacy that can be left behind when a pen hits the paper. In my Biblical Counseling class I am reading "Seeing With New Eyes" and truly my eyes have been opened to ministering to souls as well as examining my own life. I highly recommend this book. I will also be doing a Sanctification Project in that class. Basically I will be counseling myself through the area of contentment throughout the semester and in the end I will have the tools to be able to counsel someone else through the areas of contentment. Though it will not be easy to combat this area of sin, I look forward to the end result...sanctification. I was able to attend my Shepherd Group today and sat once again under the care and direction of Dr. Stuart Scott along with 4 other guys. We will meet monthly throughout the semester and I look forward to continue to place myself under such wisdom and counsel. Finally I have been learning how to write "Southern" style in my Written Communications class. There is no MLA format here...no sir. At chapel this Thursday, Dr. Moore taught on the Doctrines of Election. Everyone needs to listen to this sermon. He speaks through the authority of the scriptures and urges and encourages the church. You can listen to it here. I have been blessed every Monday with his teaching and look forward to the rest of the semester.

It is still weird to say that this place is my home, yet the Lord has been gracious in making it feel that way. I praise him daily for the people and the classes he has placed in my life. I am also very thankful for my job. I started as a nanny this week with August (5) and Charley (3). We have already had a picnic, bike rides and fun at Cherokee park and I look forward to time at the zoo, museums, library, etc... I have been to three churches and have enjoyed them all which makes me think that I have a hard decision ahead. Which leads me to my prayer requests:
1. Contentment
2. A Church Home and discernment
3. Studies- that I may no only retain the information and write the papers well, but that I would be more concerned with being sanctified in the midst.
4. My dad- He is in California with my grandparents and aunt. My grandfather had a stroke this summer and they have been struggling through some short term and now long term memory loss. Pray for peace, patience and joy in the midst.
5. My Cousin Blake- He found out today that there is a mass on his spine in between V4&5. On September 11th they will take out the mass and biopsy it for cancer. Pray for him, his wife Kel, his son Brandon and his baby Ryan (Mr. Baby). May the Lord grant peace and healing.
6. My computer is not working for some reason, which could pose a problem since I need to write three papers in the next two weeks. I am going to the IT department at the school tomorrow to see if there is something we can do.

Love Ya and I hope to keep up with this blog at least monthly. I may also include some of my book reviews for those of you interested. Until next time...God bless and keep me posted on how I can pray for you.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Hey Kristin! Looks like you're doing well in Kentucky! Your classes all sound very interesting. Jay and I are enjoying Florida. I'm so glad to finally be with him everyday! No job yet. It's getting pretty frustrating. I'm hoping soon something good will come along. Thank you for asking about that. I wish you the very best in Kentucky and look forward to reading about your life on your blog!

catherine shea politte said...

Kristin I LOVE that book -- Seeing With New Eyes -- it has given me tons of insight into what we do here in Eldorado. I welcome your suggestions for other books I should be reading!! Also..tell me more about this 'sanctification project' -- I need to do a few of my own. :) Keep up the posts!! OH and I updated my blog, too -- just for you ;)

Cara Arnold said...

I love you K Booth and am so glad I get to be your accountability partner for your spiritual disciplines class!! I look forward to growing and being challenged and sanctified this semester and semesters to come!! Love you girl and I think it is so stinkin cool that we get to enjoy Louisville together! Praise God!! He is so good!! Love you girl and praise God for our friendship!

OhK-Booth said...

Thanks ladies! Love ya and keep me posted on your lives. I am praying for you!