Friday, June 20, 2008

Namaste


I have just returned from spending a week with my cousin and his youth at Student Life Camp. The group I worked with was rough around the edges to say the least. They are so precious to my heart, yet they have come from circumstances that I am not sure I will ever understand. My cousin has not merely ministered to the kids that come to church on a regular basis, yet he has found these kids in the woodworks and is gladly coming alongside them. These kids are hearing the gospel for the first time and are either thirsty as every or hardened by the life they have lived in.

This week was stretching for me. I had to learn patience to the utmost since all but one of our kiddos were in Jr. High. They vomited their lives on us and we poured the hope that we have in Christ into them. And poured and poured. Not only did we pour, but The Smith Band poured and Matt Carter poured. Every single one of our kids had encountered the Word and works of God. During our final worship service on Thursday night, Matt Carter's message from the Lord opened my eyes and convicted me on a new level. The sermon was also given to his church and you can find it here and is the Amos 5 :21-23 sermon called "Why Churches Die: Impure Worship" given on 9/23/07. This is where the title of this post comes from. Namaste- In everyday life, "namaste" is not necessarily considered a religious gesture by everyone. However, many believe it has a spiritual basis, in recognizing a common divinity within the other person.

I pray that more than anything that these kids from Santo, TX were able to see Christ in us. The fact is that we will be able to see if their responses to the gospel are true from the fruit of their lives when they return to the conditions at home. I pray overall that the seeds that were planted have fallen on a good soil. Please pray for Chad and Angela as they continue to invest in the lives of these students that have not so lovely lives. Check out the above sermon. You will be glad that you did.

4 comments:

Jamie Butts said...

Hey!
Got your note on my blog. Sorry I don't have much Internet this summer.
What day exactly would you move in? We have a wedding to attend in Frankfort that will take up the late afternoon and evening of August 2nd. We could probably help on Friday, but I'm not sure, because that's the day my parents and grandma leave town from visiting us, and we aren't sure what time they'll take off.
Sorry! Just call with some details, and we'd love to help if/when we can! Early morning Saturday might be best for us to help.

OhK-Booth said...

It will be saturday morning. August 2nd. Just let me know. If not I am sure we can figure something out. Love ya girly!

Sylas said...

I think I need to meet this cousin of yours that goes into the wood work to spread the gospel. I think we could lean on each other.

OhK-Booth said...

Totally Sylas. He is incredible. Him and his wife are loving the unlovely in Santo. Santo is totally smaller than Eldo and I am sure you guys can relate in many ways. His name is Chad Fogle and he is reformed.