Tuesday, July 28, 2009

3G: Oh Worship the King: Washington and Beyond...

...My arrival home had me entering a season of searching. As you recall, before I headed to Washington State I was a college graduate and I had no idea as to what I would do come August. That May, inbetween orientation and Washington, there was a team of us that were held in Dallas to serve for five days at a church. My first task approached me when the lead singer of the youth worship team was sick and unable to come. The three years prior to this night I had purposely stayed in the pew and off of the stage to grow in my focus and understanding of the One in Whom I worshiped. This night (above picture) would be the first of many chances to lead God's people in worshiping Him. I can remember standing behind that mic trembling at first and then the music began to play. It was as if I were in the pew yet with a mic in my hand. Nothing at that moment could distract me from worshiping my Lord.
While I was in Washington I had a few opportunities to lead worship again and then received a phone call from my friend Chance Nichols. He was putting together a band that would lead worship for the college students every Monday night at Angelo State's BSM. At that point I had no job and no other plans and gladly joined. Chance, Kasey and I lead worship for two years together along with several bass guitarists and drummers. We traveled quite often for a season and though loading the trailor was not our favorite thing to do, leading people in worship with the music we loved was our passion. We were at a Disciple Now in Robert Lee (I think) and were nameless. A kid named Brody took it upon himself to help us out and suggested that we call ourselves Shepherd's Flock since we were leading The Shepherd's flock in worship. The name stuck for as long as we were together. Those two years would hold great trials and opportunities for me as you will see in the next few posts. The band was one of the Lord's provision for me that constantly anchored me in and pointed me to Christ despite the distractions that I faced. I am so thankful for the accountability and encouragement that I received during those times. I continue to grow to love the art of music and the beauty of bringing together different instruments to produce such a unifying sound.
It makes me think that when the body of Christ works in the way a band or orchestra does there is a God glorifying sound that is beautiful to those who hear it. Each member must play their part in order to produce this sound. Scriptures give us a list of "One Anothers" as notes on a piece of sheet music. Love one another (John 13:34), exhort one another (Heb 3:13), encourage one another (1 Thess 5:11), outdo one another in showing honor (Rom 12:10), live in harmony with one another (Rom 12:16), etc... In doing so we show the world the God we serve. Christ's prayer was, "The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one...." We are also encouraged in 1 Peter 4:10-11, "As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: ...in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." He has gifted us individually, the question is whether or not we are using those gifts for His glory and in unity with the body. May our unity proclaim the One Who brought redemption rather than defaming His name by our disunity and selfishness. May our noise be a joyful one rather than a noisy gong and a clanging cymbol.
I always loved the words to Ross King's song "Clear the Stage" which goes well with the topic of worship. Please read and consider these lyrics...To Be Continued...
Clear the stage and set the sound and lights ablaze
If that's the measure that it takes to crush the idols.
Chuck the pews and all the decorations too
Until the congregations few then have revival.
Tell your friends that this is where the party ends
Until you're broken for your sins you can't be social.
Then seek the Lord and wait for what he has in store
And know that great is your reward and just be hopeful
CHORUS
Cause you can sing all you want to.
Yes you can sing all you want to
You can sing all you want to
And don't get me wrong,
Worship is more than a song.
Take a break from all the plans that you made
And sit at home alone and wait for God to whisper.
Beg Him please to open up his mouth and speak
And pray for real upon your knees until they blister.
Shine the light on every corner of your life
Until the pride and lust and lies are in the open.
Then read the word and put to test the things you've heard
Until your heart and soul are stirred and rocked and broken.
BRIDGE
Anything I put before my God is an idol.
Anything I want with all my heart is an idol.
Anything I can't stop thinking of is an idol.
Anything that I give all my love is an idol.
We must not worship something that's not even worth it.
Clear the stage and make some space for the one who deserves it.
Cause I can sing all I want to.
Yes I can sing all I want to
I can sing all I want to
And still get it wrong,
Worship is more than a song.

No comments: