Thursday, June 04, 2009

3G: My Salvation Experience

... I had the mindset entering college at Angelo State University that I would no longer be 'the wall flower.' I had lived in a recluse mentality far too long and did as my friends encouraged me to do. I went out. Drinking and clubbing gave me a confidence, yet I was spiraling downward fast. Because I lacked the weight of sin I had no problem going to church on Sundays with a hangover. I still lacked satisfaction after all my efforts.

During the fall of 2000, the Lord brought a group of Air Force folk in my life. Though the initial motive for them coming to our Sunday Night Bible Study was to see what Ronnie thought about my best friend Amanda, the Lord opened their eyes to our misunderstanding of the gospel and directed their hearts in compassion towards us. During a weekend retreat they fasted and prayed for us and sought the Lord about how to minister. I praise the Lord constantly that they invested time and showed a godly love towards us. I was challenge as Ronnie asked me, "What do you believe and why do you believe it?" The fact of the matter was that my beliefs had little to know foundation and certainly did not stand against the Word of God. I had made a god that was comfortable to me, rather than seek the Scriptures that spoke clearly about who God truly is. They presented the truth graciously with love. Their truths were solid and based on Scripture, where mine were swiftly sinking as if in quicksand (Matt 7:24-29). The Lord was gradually giving me ears to hear his voice (John 10:25-30).

Amanda started walking with the Lord and at this point in the story she was walking hand in hand with Ronnie who had become her boyfriend. The Sunday night bible study was still in action and this particular Sunday evening I went to embark again in the drinking frenzy that lead to me dry heaving over a toilet bowl. With my head over this porcelain friend the Lord broke me and opened my eyes to my sin before Him who is Holy (Rom 3:23, Eph 2:1-3). Amanda came into the bathroom and held back my hair. I looked up at her with alligator sized tears and assured her that I did not want Ronnie to see me. Ronnie exhibited the spirit of Christ and reflected the one true and holy God. Ronnie thankfully disrespected my request and came into the bedroom and looked me in the eye and said, "There is nothing you can do that can take my love away from you." By this statement God showed his grace towards me.

Romans 5:7-8 states, "For one will scarcely die for a righteous person--though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die--but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." I had always proclaimed God to be gracious and loving, yet I never understood the magnitude of his grace and love until I saw myself as a wretched sinner in need of a Savior. I was desperate for his grace and love and my response was a repentant heart. "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see." These words were never so beautiful to me than this moment.

The Lord continue to use this Air Force group as Joy discipled Amanda and Steph discipled me. "Discernment comes with time" was often what I heard as I struggled to understand the bible. The time grew near that each of these Lieutenants received their assignments from Korea to Alaska. Though parting was hard, the Lord had laid a strong foundation and was preparing me for what was next...to be continued...

The Crew + Vidal (Sorry it is not the best picture)
Yep, you guessed it...Amanda and Ronnie got married and are now church planters in Puerto Rico with their 4 children!

3 comments:

Todd and Bonnie Huckabee said...

great writing. . .I remember those days . . :) . . .all those special air force students and sweet Kristen and Amanda. . .my, my. . it's amazing what the Lord did!! thanks for sharing your amazing story!

bonnie

Unknown said...

its fun to hear this story from your perspective. Miss you and love you.
a

OhK-Booth said...

I am looking forward to the next post about you two ladies that have commented. I love you so much and am so thankful for you.